Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Blue Doors

Depressed people tend not to notice details; for us, the season is always deep winter; the hour groggily post-prandial. We don’t “see a world in a grain of sand,” as William Blake rhapsodized, but simply sand, about which—whether it contains mica or feldspar or bits of broken shells--we are incurious. Which brings me to confess something I noticed as I walked into the red brick Greek Revival Unitarian Church on Main Street in Northampton this past Sunday morning. I had just removed my bike helmet (when the weather is good, I ride my ten-speed to the services, which reduces my carbon footprint, and allows me to repair my body’s temple) and was hurrying up the stone steps when, perhaps because it was spring or maybe because I was uncharacteristically early, I looked up. Then I saw what I had never noticed before: The big double front doors are blue, each paneled door topped with a square window of leaded glass divided into eight, fan-like triangular sections. The blue is a lovely azure color, Virgin Mary blue, Saint-Denis Blue, Chartres Blue, the blue that for centuries--from the late Middle Ages to the Renaissance to the Reformation and beyond--has been one of God’s favorite colors.

I have been going to UU services for over a year; I have sipped coffee in the parlor, praised the organist, shaken the hand of the interim minister, and used the transgender bathroom in the basement; I have belted out my favorite African-American hymn, “This Little Light of Mine,” with the other white, mostly gray-haired congregants, spaced out during readings of "Frog and Toad" for the children before they leave for their RE classes, brought visiting guests and friends to the services (though I have never been able to convince my husband or teenaged son to attend, as my husband contends that religion is a “crutch” and my son would prefer to sleep); I even have my own name tag, which hangs on a ribbon in the entryway, which I sometimes remember to pin to my jacket…I have faithfully performed all these acts, but I have never noticed that the front doors are blue.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks. I've been morose all day and you have cheered me up. By the way, I think the blue is called BVM blue (for Blessed Virgin Mary)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Rebecca! I do believe there's no better way out of depression than writing down the details of the world -- from blue to whatever there is on the other side of the rainbow...blue I guess. And if someone responds, well, it's even better. So these are lovely starts! Keep it up, and maybe I'll join you....

    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lovely church through the blue doors is not a crutch, nor even a religion according to Chris of the Church of the NYT. It is about being connected, a community of thinkers and singers and dancers and readers and writers. We come together in a quiet space to consider our place in the world and to reflect on our values, not alone but in a community of blessed, beautiful weirdos. We share and create together recharging our social batteries and depleting our social angst derived from being square pegs. My gift to myself this year is Unitarian family camp which Chris has so adroitly avoided by teaching summer school.
    Thank you for this.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, for someone who is supposedly depressed, you are observing a remarkable number of details!

    Could it be due to the biking?!

    Writing may help, as Ms. Riley observes, but for us, the best way to beat the blues involves hitting the bike lanes... to "break out of the cage", out from behind the dashboard, to feel the elements in one's face and be reliant on one's own powers of locomotion! Nothing beats it!!

    Church of the NYT! We love it!!!

    I say, is it possible to be spiritual without being religious?

    -Jabir Ibn Hayyan
    Park Slope Ashram, Church of the NYT

    ReplyDelete
  5. One can be religious without being spiritual -- hypocritical social climbers. One can be spiritual without being religious -- iconoclastic individualists. Religion smacks of some system of beliefs, values and practices. Spirituality is nebulous, although no less meaningful, but perhaps often less disciplined. It incorporates a larger area of feeling, often more connected to nature and disconnected to regularized social interactions with other humans.
    What's the difference between a religion and a cult? Numbers.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete